Having an air purifier in your home can help with the quality of life and health for you, your family, and your pets. With so many different models to choose from, how do you know which one is right for you?
Here are some information and tips on what to look out for before purchasing a new air purifier that will keep both you and those around you breathing easy.
How Do Air Purifiers Work?
Air Purifier Filters
1. The HEPA Filter
2. The PECO Filter
Benefits of Air Purifiers
How to Choose the Best Air Purifier
- Consider your needs – if you have pets, you’d most likely want to get rid of foul odours, pet hairs and pet-related dust and particles in the air. Other people who live in a very humid area might be concerned about mould. There are cleaners designed to deal with mould mainly.
- Consider different filters – some filters can be washed and reused, others need to be replaced every 3-6 months, depending on the filter. This will affect your budget, and it requires a lot of maintenance. Make sure to consider this when choosing an air purifier.
- Consider the CADR (clean air delivery rate) rating, the speed at which it cleans air – this will determine how often you’d need to run your air purifier and how much you’ll pay for electricity. Some cleaners have a high CADR score, and you’ll only have to run it for a short amount of time, saving you electricity.
- How frequently would you use the cleaner? If you want the air to be clean only when there’s someone home, you’ll only have to run it a bit before you get home and until you leave again. Some purifiers have settings to turn on and off on a timer, perfect for that scenario.
- Consider the room size – some air purifiers don’t work well in large rooms.
- Consider maintenance level – if you don’t have enough time to maintain it, get one that only needs its filter replaced twice a year or so, otherwise get one whose filter can be reused, for example.
What We Looked at in Air Purifiers
3 Ways to Keep Air Clean
- Open windows during the day if possible.
- Make sure your aircon is often running so that your air continues circulating throughout the day.
- While cooking, make use of an exhaust fan.
How Do Air Purifiers Work?
Air purifiers use a complex system of internal fans that absorbs the air around you and your home and pushes it into a series of filters that remove airborne particles and pollutants.
What this does is that it leaves clean air to circulate back into the room.
How Do Air Purifiers Keep You Healthy?
Purifiers work by cleaning the air around you, which simultaneously improves your health. Purifiers remove the pollution in the air; the purifier helps with the removal of small polluted particles that come from cooking, dust, smoke and allergens.
These could be very dangerous to people with respiratory issues, so purifies are incredibly useful to them.
What Are the Most Common Filters to Use?
The HEPA filter and the PECO filter are the most common filters. HEPA means ‘high-efficiency particulate air, and what they do is clean up 99.7% of all particles in your home or office.
PECO means ‘photoelectrochemical oxidation’, and its use is to remove and deactivate smoke, gases, bacteria and mould in the air.
Are There Any Benefits to Getting an Air Purifier?
If you have respiratory issues, then getting an air purifier is a no-brainer. If you get easily annoyed by dust and dirt, this would be a great asset.
The benefits of having one are long-lasting as you have clean air in your living and workspace.
The air purifier market is a quickly evolving space. With new products coming to the forefront every day, it’s hard for customers to know if they are making the right decision when purchasing an air purifying device.
If you want to be sure that your air purifier is the right choice for you, make sure you do your research before investing in a new product and know what features you need. We hope this article has helped you understand how to pick an air purifier and what factors are important in the decision.